Bloomsbury Square is London’s oldest square, having been created by the pioneering Lord Southampton as the piazza to his mansion in 1665.
Surrounded by historical Georgian terraces and the grand facade of Victoria House which was once short listed to become London’s city hall, other key features include a bronze statue of Charles James Fox, a Whig politician and a central character from the film ‘The Duchess’ and the former home of The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain attributed to John Nash In 2003, the square benefited from a major refurbishment to reflect elements of Humphrey Repton’s 1806 layout, including the restoration of the views and link to the nearby Russell Square. It was a Green Flag Award Winner in 2009 & 2010.
Bloomsbury Square is maintained by Camden Council and is open to the public during daylight hours.
For further information on the activities of the Friends of Bloomsbury Square please contact our Secretary on 07771 953959 or click on www.friendsofbloomsburysquare.org
See our photo album here